Click an Ad

If you find this blog helpful, please support me by clicking an ad!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Another case study in the benefits of good documentation


Another case study in the benefits of good documentation


So, I put in my two weeks' notice yesterday. I'm moving on to what I'm almost certain are greener pastures, full of opportunity and unicorns. Today when I came in they asked me to write up a list of what I "do". We have two admins here (over everything: network, storage, Windows, etc). Obviously one of us can't know everything; we'd probably go insane trying. Things get compartmentalized and assigned.
It's now noon and my cohort has everything he needs:
  • I went through my Outlook calendar and wrote down recurring events.
  • I exported my bookmarks for him.
  • I changed anything in powershell scripts that used my login or credentials over to his.
  • I ensured that all scheduled tasks were not using my login
  • Then I copied my documentation folder to the IT Network share and pointed him to it.
PROTIP: This Powershell command finds any string in a file within a directory, recursively:
Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Include *.* | Select-String "String to look for"

Great.

So now I'm "done" here with two weeks to sit here and stare into space.
But really, this is a good thing, because I can use those two weeks to handle any other questions that comes up while he gets his hands dirty.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment