In other fun news, in VMware Workstation I successfully go Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, Windows 95, and Windows 98 talking to each other over TCP. Just because. :)
After some more introspection, I have decided that it's very good that I'm getting into networking with the CCENT. I might even go farther than that. When you get right down to it, IT is all about the DATA. Up to this point (and I don't see this changing soon - I'm just branching out), I have dealt mainly with presenting the data to the employees. Email, file shares, whatever. But I got to thinking: what are the core things that need to be done with data? Data needs to be:
- Copied (backed up)
- Secured (ensure CIA: confidentiality, integrity, accessibility)
- Transmitted (Networking)
- Converted into information (Monitoring, reporting, database mining)
- Stored (SANs, DAS, etc)
I figure, the closer I get to the core functions of the DATA, the better my job prospects will be, in my opinion.
Work had some old Cisco gear laying around that I can use, so I now have at my disposal:
1 Cisco Catalyst 3550 switch
1 Cisco 2600 router with 2x WIC 1DSU-T1 cards (ports look like cat5/6 - do they take something special or can I plug an ethernet cable in there?)
2 Cisco 1841 routers each with 1 WIC 1DSU-T1 V2 card.
I managed to hunt down instructions on how to reset them and have done the needful. Here are the instructions I collated and tested (as much for my reference as yours!):
Resetting the Cisco 1841 and 2600 routers to factory:
- Make sure router is powered off
- Connect console cable, and bring up putty in the correct COM port
- Boot router
- Send the break command (right-click on the window bar and choose special command->break)
- type confreg 0x2142
- type reset
- Once the router reboots (say no to initial config dialog), enter enable mode, then type reload
- Once the router reboots (say no to initial config dialog), enable, and conf t
- type config-register 0x2102
- type exit to get back to enable mode
- type write memory
- type reload
Resetting the Cisco Catalyst 3550 to factory:
- Connect the console cable to the switch and start your terminal program (HyperTerminal/Secure CRT). Console port settings are 9600,8,N,1
- Hold the MODE button (on the front of the switch) while you power on the switch.
- Hold the MODE button for a few seconds until you the System light stop flashing.
- At this point, the switch should be in ROMmon mode.
- From ROMmon mode, type: flash_initStep
- From ROMmon mode, type: delete flash:config.textStep
- From ROMmon mode, type: boot