Click an Ad

If you find this blog helpful, please support me by clicking an ad!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Organizing My Projects and Tasks

I've been struggling lately trying to find a good way to keep track of my projects. I want the ability to look back and see what I've accomplished, for resume purposes or just to remind myself of how I went about implementing something, but also as a to-do list to stay on track. Microsoft Project was a much steeper learning curve than I wanted - I am not a project manager. At my last job, the IT department shared a spreadsheet that we would pour over every week in an IT meeting. Every row would have a certain project, who was assigned to it, when it was due, and what had been done thus far towards completion. When the project was completed, there was a field to mark completion, and a macro would move it to the bottom of the list. This worked fine, but it was unwieldy to quickly find out what I needed to be working on. Prioritization. Recently, I went to an online service called Organi.sr. This seems to be working ok, but when I complete a project there's no way to save the list for posterity. I've resorted to keeping a separate text file with projects I've completed, but it's not nearly as in-depth as I would like it to be, because I don't take the time to flesh out all of the nitty-gritty details of the sub-tasks, just the overall view. I guess I'm just sticking with organi.sr until I find something better.

1 comment:

  1. Instead of keeping separate text files, have you thought of using OneNote?

    ReplyDelete